IRS Tax Debt Attorney in Greensboro, NC
Tax Attorneys Assisting Individuals with IRS and State Tax Issues
No one wants to deal with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) alone, and they shouldn’t have to. State and federal laws are complex and designed to leave you with less patience (and money) than you started with. Every tax debt attorney at the Greensboro, NC law firm of Ivey McClellan has the know-how to help you navigate what may seem like a very sticky situation with the state or federal revenue officials.
Looking for Tax Law Representation?
Contact the Experts at Ivey McClellan Today!
Who Tax Debt Attorneys Are
If you want to gain some perspective on the breadth of tax-related matters a tax debt lawyer may help with, let us share some ways we have helped clients during our firm’s multiple years in operation.
lvey McClellan has a long history of representing individuals and businesses in a wide area of tax-related issues. The lawyers on our team have handled cases from a few hundred to a few million dollars owed. We’ve helped clients with preventative tax preparation strategies and creative tax repayment structures. While addressing tax debt is a big part of what our Greensboro, NC tax law professionals do, we also provide advisory services to minimize your legal exposure to future tax-related issues.
What Tax Attorneys Do
While resolving tax debt issues is a big part of what we do, our Greensboro law firm actually handles a full range of tax matters, including:
Solving Tax Problems In A Variety of Areas
If you have one, we work closely with your certified public accountant (CPA) to address your tax-related issues, from relatively basic to complex ones. All information shared between you, your tax lawyer, and your accountant will remain private and confidential.
Whether you are an individual looking for personal income tax help, a small business owner hoping to get some tax advice, or a large company trying to understand the North Carolina tax laws, we can provide the proper tax assistance and complete any tax forms you may require. Some areas that we may be able to assist in include:
- Personal and Business Tax Protection: If you are an individual with an offshore account or investment, or a corporation with offshore assets or bank accounts, we can ensure that you avoid penalties by remaining compliant with North Carolina and IRS tax rules and regulations.
- Tax Debt Relief: If you cannot pay your taxes on time or owe back taxes, you may be able to qualify for some form of tax debt relief. The IRS offers payment plans or installment agreements as a form of payment, as well as a debt settlement. We can help you understand your options and find the best tax debt relief solution to fit your unique situation.
- Audit Defense: Also known as tax audit representation, in the case of an Internal Revenue Service or state income tax audit, our reputable and experienced tax experts can stand in on your behalf to handle the situation. We will respond to any IRS audit notices on your behalf, defend your tax returns in audit hearings, and help you resolve any tax debt.
- IRS Appeals: Our IRS tax lawyers can also confer with the IRS Independent Office of Appeals to resolve any disputes involved with your tax return. We all have to file a federal tax return each year; however, whether you will receive a tax refund, get audited, or end up owing money is in the hands of the IRS. You may not always agree and try to seek a more equitable tax resolution. If you disagree with a tax decision, it is your right to file an appeal. Having a qualified lawyer on your side as your tax advocate can improve your chances of a successful resolution.
- US Tax Court Litigation: Successfully resolving a tax dispute can sometimes lead to litigation. In case a dispute goes to the US Tax Court, we can represent your case in the federal courts. Whether the dispute is over tax audits, IRS refunds, tax collection, wage garnishment, or more, we can help get a favorable courtroom outcome.
- Criminal Tax Investigations: A Criminal Investigation may ensue to prosecute individuals or corporations who the IRS believes to be evading taxes by willfully not filing, falsely filing returns, or otherwise attempting to defraud taxpayers. Our tax attorneys can stand by your side and defend your case in case of an investigation.
There is no single solution to all tax problems that arise with the NCDOR or IRS. How an attorney in our office attempts to resolve matters with a revenue agency will vary depending on your unique circumstances.
Services Provided by Tax Debt Attorneys
If your tax issue is debt-related, then you can expect a lawyer on our Greensboro team to employ one of the following solutions in an attempt to resolve your differences with the IRS or DOR:
- Review your previous returns and IRS calculations of taxes owed for any discrepancies
- Request an audit reconsideration
- File a request for abatement of interest and penalties, an offer in compromise, or innocent spouse relief
- Check to see if the collections time frame is set to expire soon
- See if we can obtain relief from tax levies or releases from IRS tax liens on your behalf
- Help you strike a short-term tax debt payment deferment or installment payment agreement with the IRS
- Ask the IRS to classify your tax debt as "currently uncollectable," thus allowing you a reprieve from any amounts in arrears
Our attorneys here at our Greensboro, NC law firm of Ivey McClellan will also review the specifics surrounding your case to determine if you may be eligible to eliminate your tax debt by filing bankruptcy.
Does Bankruptcy Help Clear Debt?
Bankruptcy is a type of debt relief. Circumstances may arise when your tax debt is so high that you don't feel you can plausibly pay it off during the foreseeable future.
Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows debtors to liquidate the assets they might have and use any money generated from that sale to pay off their creditors. Most debtors have to pass a means test, which proves that their income and assets are inadequate to enter into a Chapter 13 bankruptcy repayment plan with their creditors. Most debtors will walk away with a clean financial slate after performing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation.
Income-based taxes, whether state or federal or gross receipt taxes, are generally the only tax debts that can be discharged as part of a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing. A debtor wishing to pursue this debt relief option must have filed tax returns during the last four years. Additionally, any debts they would like discharged must be at least three years old.
Prevent Your Tax Problems With a Consultation
Our core belief is that an ounce of prevention can save you a pound of problems. You should meet with an NCDOR or IRS tax debt attorney soon after you receive notification of your tax liability. You will want to discuss how your situation may unfold, the legal consequences you may face, and possible options to address your liabilities. Based on this conversation, one of our tax debt lawyers can also set up a tax planning strategy to maximize your assets while minimizing your tax exposure.
When To Use a Tax Debt Lawyer in Greensboro
Unfortunately, not all federal tax issues can be resolved by taxpayers dealing directly with the NCDOR or IRS. In those cases, our attorneys are here to serve as your advocate to help get you out of the hole you feel you are stuck in.
Tax Attorneys Assisting Individuals with IRS and State Tax Issues
The rules for dealing with tax authorities are different, but each tax debt lawyer at our firm has the knowledge and experience to help you out of those complicated situations. As tax attorneys in Greensboro, NC, we have years of experience offering innovative and creative tax repayment plans to the IRS and NCDOR, with the goal of helping you keep as much of your hard-earned savings as possible.
Benefits of Using a Tax Debt Attorney in Greensboro, NC
When you looked for tax debt attorneys, you probably noticed that many are based in our country's largest cities. You likely didn't findt many firms that operate out of smaller metropolitan areas of North Carolina like here in Greensboro.
Our small city location doesn't affect the knowledge a tax lawyer has; however, it does affect the attentiveness your legal team at Ivey McClellan gives you and your case. See, we're not taking cases on simply to generate revenue but instead providing our fellow Greensboro residents with solid yet empathetic legal representation in their time of need.
Here at Ivey McClellan, our tax attorneys are very high-touch, meaning you can expect them to personally handle your case and communicate with you at every step, so you know what to expect. We also pride ourselves on aggressively fighting for what's in our clients' best interests.
If you would like to talk to a tax professional about your specific situation or discuss any federal tax laws and problems, schedule a free case evaluation with one of our professional North Carolina tax attorneys here at Ivey McClellan to get started today.
Get the Tax Representation You Need From a North Carolina Tax Attorney
When it comes to federal or North Carolina state taxes, nothing compares to entrusting your case to the competent hands of a tax debt attorney at the Law Offices of Ivey McClellan. We’re confident in our ability to offer you the best legal services for resolving your tax disputes and dealing with your serious NCDOR or IRS problems.
Whatever charges or penalties you are facing, any lawyer on our team has certainly dealt with it before. Our legal staff will work to exhaust every possible option when solving your tax issue. Whether defending your case in the courtroom or simply ensuring the right type of tax debt relief, we can help you every step of the way.
Contact us today to set up an appointment to meet with one of our Greensboro tax debt attorneys to give you legal advice and answer any tax questions you may have. Are you ready to work with a qualified tax lawyer? Then what are you waiting for? Schedule an appointment today!